Once you’re satisfied with your website design and structure, the next step is to attract traffic so you can sell your product or advertise your services. An SEO agency skilled in modern SEO practices (search engine optimisation) is key to getting your website listed on the first pages of search results.
Successful search engine optimisation requires a long-term strategy; the benefits of changes you make to your website today may not be evident for weeks or months. At times you may feel like your getting nowhere, but achieving top rankings requires persistence.
A few basic tips that can help boost search engine optimisation
1. Content is king. Write interesting, useful content relevant to your field of expertise and people will visit your site and keep coming back. Update your content regularly.
2. Blog. In many parts of your website you will have little opportunity to create new and interesting content. It is what it is, probably useful information about you or your company but which doesn’t change much. However, a blog or latest news section gives you opportunity to do just this, and scope to write about anything you want, relevant to your field.
3. Add your site to search engines (Google, Bing etc.), verify your site and submit a sitemap.
4. Familiarise yourself with Google Search Console (formerly Webmaster Tools). This can reveal invaluable insights about how Google views your site. It also gives information on any errors on your site which may affecting indexing.
5. Third-party plugins, such as the Yoast SEO plugin for Wordpress website design, can be useful, especially if you are new to SEO. Once installed and activated, they will guide you through the process of optimising your pages and posts for search engines.
6. Choose appropriate keywords using Google Adwords Keyword Planner. An SEO agency can help you with this.
Achieving good rankings for your chosen keywords can sometimes be a long and difficult path, but if you follow the steps above you’ll get off to a fine start.